Joomla! module linking your Skype account and displaying your Skype status with periodically AJAX refresh (as used in this page sidebar).
In order to use the module, it is necessary to configure Skype so that it allows access to your status: you can achieve this enabling Allow my online status to be shown on the web in Skype > Privacy... menu.
Now you can install Joomla! Skype Status module from Extensions > Extension Manager > Install.
After installation, open Skype status item from Extensions > Module Manager.
Proceed with the configuration: in addition to the standard options common to all Joomla! modules, there are some specific options for the Skype Status module:
- Skype Username (required): your Skype account name.
- Refresh Interval (optional): status refresh interval in seconds (via AJAX).
- Text (optional): text to output before image status.
- Image Folder (optional): online/offline/loading image location.
- Loading Image (optional): image to show while status is loading.
- Online Image / Offline Image (optional): image to show according to your Skype status.
- Include jQuery (optional): to turn off only when the jQuery library (needed to make the module works) is already included by another Joomla! extension or by your template.
Problem: Although I've configured my Skype account as described in the guide, my status is always offline.
Solution: Make sure
allow_url_fopen option is active from php.ini configuration file at your hosting service.
Problem: Skype status icon is not visible although link to my Skype account is present. Why?
Solution: May be necessary to eliminate some older version of jQuery included in HTML head from your template or any other Joomla! extension: they could override the most recent version included by Skype Status module.